Ride Description – Northern Italy’s Cycling Paradise
Join us for 10 wonderful days and nights in the beautiful Veneto region, in the Vicenza province of northern Italy at the base of the pre-Alps. This area of Italy is known for its incomparable scenery, unparalleled history, splendid wines and grappa, great local cuisine and outstanding cycling! Our fixed base tour lodging is located in the outskirts of Bassano del Grappa only 1 kilometer from city center. Bassano is only a 1½ hour bus or train ride from Venice, which is the recommended arrival point and where our shuttle will pick you up for the trip to our hotel. Our tour will visit, among others, the famed towns of Asolo, Cittadella, Marostica and, of course, Bassano del Grappa.
The price of the trip is $2195 USD per person double occupancy and includes the following INCLUSIONS/EXCLUSIONS just below. NOTE there is NO trip registration fee and there are NO payment fees by credit/debit card through PayPal. These fees are paid by Cycling Friends, LLC. A $750 USD deposit per person is required to secure a slot on the trip for each participant. Due date for final payments will be July 1, 2020. If single supplement applies, it will also be collected at the time of final payment due date. Single supplement cost is $750 USD.
Tour pricing is based on a minimum of 20 participants. If the minimum number of participants is not met at least 6 months prior to departure then the trip may be cancelled.
- 3-star cycling friendly hotel, located only 1 kilometer from Bassano del Grappa city center.
- Spa entrance with Spa bag which includes bathrobe, towel and slippers. Bathrobe and towel changes available (see EXCLUSIONS).
- Per person double occupancy room for 10 nights.
- Daily continental breakfast.
- Dinner at our 3-star hotel to include 3 courses plus wine, water, and dessert. A daily vegetarian selection will also be available, and there will be no meal repeats during our stay. There will be 9 dinners provided during our stay, 7 at the hotel, an 8th dinner arranged offsite and our final dinner will take place at a private villa, Villa Godi Malinverni in the “Sala degli Affreschi” (“Fresco room”). Included dinners, if offsite, will include transport. One dinner, on our day off, will be on your own at a restaurant of your choice, either in Bassano del Grappa or in the surrounding area of your choice (see EXCLUSIONS).
- Guided tour at “Distillerie Poli” with grappa tasting and small bottle of grappa as a gift. Transport is included.
- Daily business meeting and Happy Hour prior to dinner to include snacks and drinks.
- Exclusive website, for accepted participants only, which will provide GPS tracks, maps and much more information about the rides and sight seeing opportunities in the area. Maps, route sheets and GPS tracks of the suggested daily cycling routes will be available at that time. The website will be available approximately 6 months prior to departure.
- Pickup and drop off at the Venice, Italy, Marco Polo airport (VCE). Dates and times are outlined below. Arrivals and departures should be planned accordingly. Travel time to the hotel is approximately 1½ hours.
- Pickup Date/Time: Departure from Venice’s Marco Polo airport to our hotel will be Wednesday, August 26, 2020 (Section 1) or Wednesday, September 9, 2020 (Section 2) at 2:00 p.m., arriving at the hotel about 3:30 p.m.
- Drop Off Date/Time: Departure from our hotel to the Venice Marco Polo airport will be Saturday, September 5, 2020 (Section 1) or Saturday, September 19, 2020 (Section 2) at 7:30 a.m., arriving at the airport about 9:00 a.m.
- Pickup and drop off will include you, your luggage and bike case (if applicable).
- Bike rental coordination and assistance.
- Hotel gratuities for front desk, restaurant and maid service personnel.
- Luggage transfers during entry to and exit from the hotel.
- Complementary WiFi.
- Secure bike storage.
- Airfare and other transportation to and from the pickup and drop off location at the Venice, Italy, Marco Polo airport.
- Bathrobe and towel change at the Spa (10 Euro per change room charge). Spa entrance package includes initial bathrobe and towel. See INCLUSIONS above.
- Sightseeing fees.
- Bike rental.
- Daily lunches.
- Dinner on our cycling day off.
- Alcohol other than wine, which is included at dinner and Happy Hour.
- Lodging before and after the trip.
- Personal items purchased during the trip.
It is recommended that singles seeking a roommate try to find their own, but the Ride Director and/or Ride Co-Director may also assist by attempting to match singles registering for the ride. However, after receipt of the initial deposit, a single without a roommate will be placed on the trip and given an agreeable and reasonable period of time to find a roommate. If they are unable to find a roommate, they will have the option of receiving a full refund or paying the single supplement and staying on the tour. If a single pays the supplement, they may continue to seek a roommate, but must plan to participate without a roommate if necessary. Single supplement payments will be added to the unpaid balance due at the time of final payment.
Also of interest is a paragliding/hang gliding landing strip only 8 kilometers from our hotel. This location is considered one of the finest areas for paragliding and hang gliding in the world. On a good day you can see numerous paragliders circling in the sky, a colorful and beautiful sight! You will be able to sit on the patio and enjoy the scenery with your favorite beverage and watch the paragliders and hang gliders land directly in front of you. If you are the adventurous type, you can arrange for a tandem glide with one of the providers. Note transport to and from the paragliding/hang gliding viewing area can be arranged at no charge.
Several options exist in planning your arrival to and departure from the Venice airport. However, the recommended approach is by regularly scheduled air service. However, there is also bus service from the nearby Mestre train station to the airport for those traveling by train. To avoid the difficulties of transporting and storing your own bike, high quality rental bikes will be available. See the Other Information tab above. Details on transport to the Venice airport and rental options may be discussed with the Cycling Friends, LLC Ride Director and/or Ride Co-Director for the tour.
Rather than wasting time and energy packing and unpacking each day, worrying about making it to your destination without getting lost, etc., our fixed base riding offers out-and-back or loop rides over varying but moderate terrain, returning to our hotel in the early to mid-afternoon each day.
We have designed the rides in a way that appeals to both non-climbers and climbers. The ride rating on our base rides for non-climbers is 2 (BAC rating 2B), while for climbers it is 3 (BAC rating 3B).
Our base rides, oriented towards non-climbers, will range from 35 to 45 miles and include 1500-2500 feet of climbing. Those who favor climbing will be able to extend the base ride, adding both distance (10-15 miles) and vertical gain (1000-2000 feet). None of the daily rides offers terrain that differs from the norms described above, although the Ride Director and/or Ride Co-Director can direct you to more challenging climbs and descents if you wish.
All roads we will ride on are paved, and consideration has been given to avoiding high traffic areas. GPS tracks, maps and cue sheets of the suggested daily cycling route will be available well in advance of the departure date and can be discussed with your Cycling Friends, LLC Ride Director and/or Ride Co-Director. Plan to make a few stops, sampling the quaint Italian coffee and pastry shops and enjoying lunch in one of the many small eateries along the way. You may also want to visit some of the many bike shops in this area, frequented by numerous local cyclists. You are welcome to join one or two group led rides each riding day that will follow the ride schedule published on our private ride website for participants only.
Bike rentals will be available from one of our trusted rental suppliers to be decided within at least 6 months prior to tour departure, when we will start the rental process. We will provide rental coordination and assistance when ordering and at delivery and pick-up.
As mentioned in RIDING IN Northern Italy (above), we offer daily group rides according to our scheduled and published ride of the day. We organize a couple of groups, with members deciding who they want to ride with first and riding compatibility second.
Our guides will not let anyone fall away from the group, so you will not be left on your own. Although Cycling Friends, LLC does not have a dedicated sag vehicle, if you get stranded on the road, we will do whatever is necessary to get you back to the hotel safely. We will publish a phone number list prior to trip departure in case of an emergency or if you need assistance.
Late August into mid-September in Bassano has average temperatures ranging from 70-80 F during the day and 55-62 F at night. Summer’s end is perfect for cycling!
Non-cycling partners of our participants need not fear a lack of things to do in the area. You can travel by bus or train or rent a car locally and drive to many attractions close by. Going by train to Venice or Verona will take about 1 and 2 hours, respectively. Another destination, primarily pre- or post-trip is Lake Garda, a beautiful area with unparalleled scenery. If you go, plan to stay at least 2 or 3 days/nights driving the perimeter of the lake, staying in some of the quaint villages along the way. Limone is our favorite!
Congratulations! You will love this trip!
The deposit amount for this trip is $750 USD per person and is due at registration. Please note if there are any allowed discounts these will be deducted at the time of final payment. You will be notified in advance by Cycling Friends, LLC of your final payment amount if different than outlined below.
The balance of $1445 USD per person (double occupancy or single with a roommate) or $2195 USD single supplement ($1445 USD + $750 USD = $2195 USD) will be due on or before July 1, 2020. Depending on currency exchange rates, there may be some minor changes in the amount of the final payment but this is unlikely. If this occurs you will be notified in advance by Cycling Friends, LLC.
Please review the 2 steps below for registration and making your deposit.
First, complete the registration form below. Every participant, whether cycling or not, is required to complete the form.
Second, you have two choices for signing the Release of Liability (aka RIDE APPLICATION WAIVER OF LIABILITY, ASSUMPTION OF RISK and INDEMNITY AGREEMENT) and making your deposit payment.
1) You can choose to electronically sign the Release of Liability and make your deposit payment by credit/debit card which flows through PayPal. You do not have to be a PayPal user to make payment. All fees associated with a credit/debit card payment are paid by Cycling Friends, LLC. Note you must do both, electronically sign the Release of Liability and make credit/debit card payment through PayPal or go to option 2) below and complete the process manually. This is your choice.
2) Or you can print the Release of Liability, date and sign it for each participant and then mail it and your deposit check(s) made payable to ‘Cycling Friends, LLC’ to the address below via USPS.
Cycling Friends, LLC
Northern Italy’s Cycling Paradise (please indicate Section attending)
2294 Seven Lakes Drive
Loveland, Colorado 80538 USA
In all cases of payment, whether electronically with a credit/debit card or through the mail, you will receive notification by email that your Release of Liability and check(s) or PayPal payment have arrived safely and been recorded and deposited.