This Ride Description applies to both of our 2021 & 2022 trips. Where applicable we will note key dates for each trip within the Ride Description below. Pricing for each trip will be the same for either year. Unless noted otherwise, all other features of the trips will be the same.
Trip dates are as follows:
2021: ARRIVAL December 1, 2021 & DEPARTURE December 8, 2021
2022: ARRIVAL November 30, 2022 & DEPARTURE December 7, 2022
Join us for 8 wonderful days and 7 nights on the breathtaking Pacific coast of Costa Rica. Located very near the famous surfing community of Nosara in the Guanacaste Province on the Nicoya Peninsula, you will find your days filled with sunshine and fresh sea air and evenings of unparalleled sunsets and starry skies. This fixed base lodging tour will include 6 days of riding along well-maintained gravel routes on rental mountain bikes.
Our lodging is only a short 10 minute drive to the heart of the beach community of Nosara which offers wonderful Costa Rican cuisine and many shopping opportunities offering Costa Rican made goods. However, you will likely not often want to wander too far from our hotel, Boutique Hotel Lagarta Lodge, or better described as the “Eco Lodge at the Pacific Ocean”. Views from nearly every vantage point at the lodge are simply breathtaking. Each evening prior to our meeting we will take in the sunset, a finely tuned ritual at the lodge complete with it’s own viewing deck. From the sunset deck you will be able to get that perfect sunset photo while taking your favorite beverage and watching the Howler monkeys supervising our sunset ritual. In addition, you can visit the hotel’s own nature reserve, relax in the spa, take a yoga class or view the coast directly from the lodge’s infinity pool while incased in the warmth of the day far away from the bitter cold of the north.
The price of the trip is dependent on the type of room you prefer. Jungle Suites are $2695 USD*~ per person double occupancy and Panorama Suites are $2995 USD*~ per person double occupancy and includes the following INCLUSIONS/EXCLUSIONS just below. Room types can be viewed at Lagarta Lodge Suites. Room configurations of one king bed or two queen beds are available but limited per room type. Requests can be made at the time of registration. There are only 10 total rooms available and the maximum number of participants is limited to 20!! A $1000 USD deposit per person is required to secure your position on the trip and will be collected at registration.
2021: Due date for final payments will be October 1, 2021.
2022: Due date for final payments will be October 1, 2022.
If single supplement applies, it will also be collected at the time of final payment due date. See SINGLES & SOLOS POLICY below for more information regarding single supplement. This ride will follow the Terms & Conditions policy of Cycling Friends, LLC and you will be required to complete the Cycling Friends, LLC registration.
Tour pricing is based on a minimum of 20 participants. If the minimum number of participants is not met at least 6 months prior to departure then the trip may be cancelled.
- 8 days/7 nights per person double occupancy at Boutique Hotel Lagarta Lodge near Nosara, Costa Rica.
- There are several modes of transport available to Nosara from either Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR) or from San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO), the two major airports within Costa Rica. You will be responsible for transport to Nosara and you may review Getting To Nosara to learn more.
- To help with the cost Cycling Friends, LLC will rebate up to $100 USD to you at the conclusion of the trip. Any excess of the limit of $100 USD to be paid by the guest (see EXCLUSIONS). For example, if you choose to fly to Nosara and the cost is $125 USD then Cycling Friends, LLC will rebate you $100 USD at the conclusion of the trip. Or, if you choose to take a one way trip by shuttle van from Liberia to Nosara and the cost is $45 USD then Cycling Friends, LLC will rebate you $45 USD at the conclusion of the trip.
- Transport from Nosara, Costa Rica airport (NOB) to the lodge is only 10 minutes from the airport (See ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE below for more information.).
- Daily Costa Rican breakfast.
- Dinner at our lodge to include 1 appetizer, 1 main course, 1 dessert and 1 natural drink. Alcohol can be ordered but the cost will be charged to the guest room (see EXCLUSIONS). Vegetarian selections will be available upon request. There will be no meal repeats during our stay. There will be 6 dinners provided during our stay, 5 at the lodge and a 6th dinner arranged offsite. Included dinner offsite will include transport. One dinner, on our day off, will be on your own at a restaurant of your choice in the city of Nosara. Transport to the restaurant in the city of Nosara on your day off is included on a scheduled in advance basis otherwise there may be a charge (see EXCLUSIONS).
- Dinner during our stay at the 3 Star hotel in Ragusa Ibla will be at restaurants selected by the Ride Director in or near the village of Ragusa Ibla. There will be 4 dinners provided during our stay in Ragusa Ibla or 9 dinners for the duration of the trip at both locations. Our first evening dinner in Ragusa Ibla will be on the day of our arrival after our ride from our hotel near Noto. However, dinner on the evening of our day off, our second day in Ragusa Ibla, will be on your own in the village of Ragusa Ibla.
- Daily business meeting and Happy Hour prior to dinner to include snacks and non alcoholic drinks. Alcohol can be ordered but must be charged to the guest’s room (see EXCLUSIONS).
- Exclusive website, for accepted participants only, which will provide ride summaries, maps and much more information about the rides and sight seeing opportunities in the area. The website will be available approximately 6 months prior to departure.
- Pickup/Drop Off Dates 2021. See ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE below for more information.
- Pickup: Wednesday, December 1, 2021.
- Drop Off: Wednesday, December 8, 2021.
- Pickup/Drop Off Dates 2022. See ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE below for more information.
- Pickup: Wednesday, November 30, 2022.
- Drop Off: Wednesday, December 7, 2022.
- Pickup and drop off will include you and your luggage. Bringing one’s own bike will not be an option due to the cargo capacity of the smaller planes if you choose to fly to Nosara.
- Bike rental coordination and assistance with Nosara MTB.
- This fixed base lodging tour will include 6 days of riding along well-maintained gravel routes on rental mountain bikes. Routes will be either out and back or loop rides returning to the lodge in late morning or early afternoon.
- An allowance of $100 USD will be given for rental bikes from Nosara MTB. Two different bikes may be rented and can be seen at the Nosara MTB Rentals. See BIKE RENTAL information below for more information.
- Hotel gratuities for restaurant and maid service personnel. Other gratuities will be at the discretion of the guests (see EXCLUSIONS).
- Luggage transfers during entry to and exit from the hotel.
- Complementary wifi.
- Secure bike storage.
- You will be responsible for transport to/from Nosara and you may review Getting to Nosara to learn more. An allowance for transport is included and you may review this information under INCLUSIONS above.
- Lagarta Lodge Spa Services. The lodge has a wonderful spa and yoga area available to guests but at a charge. A price list can obtained upon request.
- Sightseeing fees.
- Bike rental costs exceeding the $100 USD allowance for the 6 day rental. (see INCLUSIONS).
- Daily lunches.
- Dinner on our cycling day off.
- Local transport to/from Nosara and nearby beaches of Guiones and Pelada other than pre-arranged and scheduled shuttle.
- Alcohol other than that provided during our offsite dinner (see INCLUSIONS).
- Lodging before and after the trip.
- Personal items purchased during the trip.
SINGLES & SOLOS POLICY
Due to the limited availability of rooms, single supplement will be allowed if the single agrees to pay the price of two singles per room. In other words, if someone requires or requests single supplement then cost will be the per person price x 2 for either the Jungle Suite ($5390 USD = $2695 USD x 2) or Panorama Suite ($5990 USD = $2995 USD x 2).
It is recommended that singles seeking a roommate try to find their own, but the Ride Director and/or Ride Co-Director may also assist by attempting to match singles registering for the ride. However, after receipt of the initial deposit, a single without a roommate will be placed on the trip and given an agreeable and reasonable period of time to find a roommate. If they are unable to find a roommate, they will have the option of receiving a full refund or paying the single supplement and staying on the tour. If a single pays the supplement, they may continue to seek a roommate, but must plan to participate without a roommate if necessary. Single supplement payments will be added to the unpaid balance due at the time of final payment.
Our hotel, Boutique Hotel Lagarta Lodge, is located near Nosara, Costa Rica on the Pacific (western) coast of Costa Rica in the Guanacaste Province on the Nicoya Peninsula. Often described as the “Eco Lodge at the Pacific Ocean”, you will feel totally immersed in the landscape with views from nearly every vantage point at the lodge which are simply breathtaking. Each evening prior to our meeting we will take in the sunset, a finely tuned ritual at the lodge complete with it’s own viewing deck. From the sunset deck you will be able to get that perfect sunset photo while taking your favorite beverage and watching the Howler monkeys supervising our sunset ritual. In addition, you can visit the hotel’s own nature reserve, relax in the spa, take a yoga class or view the coast directly from the lodge’s infinity pool while incased in the warmth of the day far away from the bitter cold of the north. There are many other opportunities to enjoy what the lodge has to offer which you can see at this link Lagarta Lodge Experiences.
There are several modes of transport available to Nosara from either Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR) or from San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO), the two major airports within Costa Rica. You will be responsible for transport to Nosara and you may review Getting to Nosara to learn more.
Ground shuttle transport from Nosara, Costa Rica airport (NOB) to the lodge is only 10 minutes from the airport.
Pickup Dates/Times: On Wednesday, December 1, 2021 or Wednesday, November 30, 2022, lodge shuttles will be available at the Nosara airport (NOB) for the short drive only 10 minutes to the lodge. Coordination of arrivals will be arranged as guests communicate their arrival times at the Nosara airport (NOB) to the Ride Director.
Drop Off Dates/Times: On Wednesday, December 8, 2021 or Wednesday, December 7, 2022, departure from the lodge will be coordinated by the guests to other destinations within Costa Rica at their cost or they may be transported back to the Nosara airport (NOB) at their choosing. Transport back to the Nosara airport (NOB) is no charge. The lodge will assist with coordinating departure transportation.
RIDING IN COSTA RICA
Rather than wasting time and energy packing and unpacking each day, worrying about making it to your destination without getting lost, etc., our fixed base riding offers out-and-back or loop rides over varying but moderate terrain, returning to our hotel in the late morning or early afternoon each day.
This is a gravel road fixed base tour with 6 riding days on mountain bike rentals. There are no paved roads we will be riding. All gravel roads are well maintained and routes will be either out and back or loop rides returning to the lodge in early afternoon. Careful consideration is being given to the design of the routes to limit elevation gains and jungle riding.
The ride rating is People Cycling rating Moderate (less than 50 miles/80 kilometers and 2460 feet/750 meters of climbing).
Group riding is suggested and we will plan to ride together but individuals will be free to venture out on their own as well. You will have the opportunity to see Costa Rican flora and fauna up close; beautiful birds, exotic animals and very different vegetation. An example of animals you may have the opportunity to see on our rides in the Nicoya Peninsula are at Nicoya Peninsula Wildlife.
Bike rentals will be available from Nosara MTB and you can view available bikes on the website homepage under the BIKE RENTALS. An allowance of $100 USD will be given for rental bikes from Nosara MTB and two different bikes may be rented.
Bikes available for rental for our trip with the allowance are the Scott Aspect 940 and the Scott Scale 960. Given the allowance described in INCLUSIONS above, the cost of rental will be $50 USD for the Scott Aspect 940 and $100 USD for the Scott Scale 960 for the 6-day rental period to be paid by the guest to Nosara MTB. Quantities are limited and bikes will be assigned on a first come, first served basis.
Mentioned in RIDING IN COSTA RICA just above, we offer daily group rides for our scheduled and published ride of the day. We offer a couple of groups split not so much by riding ability but more by the actual participants themselves desiring to ride with their friends. We will plan to more or less all ride together to take in the extraordinary settings and surroundings in and around the jungle.
Our guides on each ride will not let anyone fall away from the group and you will not be left on your own. Although we will not have a dedicated sag vehicle, in case you get stranded on the road we will do whatever necessary to get you back safely to the hotel. We will publish a phone number list prior to trip departure in case of an emergency or if you need assistance.
A website for participants will be available approximately 6 months before departure will provide ride summaries, maps and opportunities for sightseeing in the area.
Early December in the Nosara area will have average minimum temperatures of 70 degrees F (21 °C) while the average maximum temperature will be around 90 degrees F (32 °C) with the average temperature being a pleasant 81 degrees F (27 °C).
Non-cycling partners of our participants need not fear a lack of things to do in the area. To learn more visit Lagarta Lodge Experiences. Choose your activity and make arrangements through the lodge front desk. We will look forward to hearing about your adventures at our daily evening meeting.
The deposit amount for this trip is $1000 USD per person and is due at registration. Please note if there are any allowed discounts these will be deducted at the time of final payment. You will be notified in advance by Cycling Friends, LLC of your final payment amount if different than outlined below.
The balance of $1695 USD per person double occupancy for Jungle Suites or $1995 per person double occupancy for Panorama Suites will be due based on the schedule below. Single supplement amount due will be $4390 USD for Jungle Suites ($2695 USD x 2 – $1000 USD) and $4990 USD for Panorama Suites ($2995 USD x 2 – $1000 USD) and will also be collected based on the schedule below. For more information on single supplement cost see SINGLES & SOLOS POLICY above under COST/ADMIN.
2021: Due date for final payments will be October 1, 2021.
2022: Due date for final payments will be October 1, 2022.
Depending on currency exchange rates, there may be some minor changes in the amount of the final payment but this is unlikely. If this occurs you will be notified in advance by Cycling Friends, LLC.
Please review the 2 steps below for registration and making your deposit.
First, complete the registration form below. Every participant, whether cycling or not, is required to complete the form.
Cycling Friends, LLC
Costa Rica Cycling Adventure 2021/2022
2294 Seven Lakes Drive
Loveland, Colorado 80538 USA
In all cases of payment, whether electronically with a credit/debit card or through the mail, you will receive notification by email that your Release of Liability and check(s) or PayPal payment have arrived safely and been recorded and deposited.